Genoa, Colorado is a small town located in the northeast corner of the state. The population of Genoa is around 1,500 people and it covers a total area of 2.6 square miles. It has a semi-arid climate with hot summers and cold winters. The town was founded in 1880 by two brothers from Italy who named it after their hometown of Genoa, Italy. See topbbacolleges for information about Adams County, Colorado.
The economy of Genoa is mainly based on agriculture and tourism due to its close proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park and other outdoor recreational attractions in the area. There are several schools in the area including public schools, charter schools, and private schools. Some of the most notable landmarks in Genoa are the historic Genoa Town Hall which was built in 1884 and still stands today, as well as several churches such as St. Mary’s Catholic Church which was built in 1905.
Politics in Genoa are quite conservative with most residents being registered Republicans or Independents who lean Republican. The economy has been slowly improving over the years due to an influx of tourism from nearby cities such as Denver and Boulder but also due to an increase in local businesses that cater to both visitors and locals alike. Education is highly valued here with many students graduating from high school each year with plans to further their education at colleges or universities near by or further away depending on their interests and career goals. Overall, Genoa is a small but vibrant town that offers its residents a great quality of life while also providing plenty of things to do for those who enjoy outdoor recreation or simply want to explore small town charm!
Population: 211. Estimated population in July 2020: 195 (-7.6% change)
Males: 103 (48.8%), Females: 108 (51.2%)
Zip code: 80818
Median resident age: 32.8 years
Median household income: $27,375
Median house value: $37,900
Races in Genoa:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.9%)
- Black (7.6%)
- Hispanic (4.3%)
- Two or more races (3.8%)
- Other race (3.3%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
Ancestries: German (21.8%), Irish (9.0%), Subsaharan African (6.6%), Norwegian (6.2%), English (5.7%), United States (4.7%).
Elevation: 5594 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
Genoa, Colorado is a small town located in Weld County. As of 2020, the population of Genoa is 1,027. The town has a diverse population that consists of people from all walks of life. The majority of the population is white (76%), followed by Hispanic or Latino (13%), and then African American (3%). The median age in Genoa is 40.1 years old and the median household income is $68,205.
The largest employer in Genoa is the school district which employs over 500 people. Other employers include oil & gas companies, retail stores, restaurants, and a few manufacturing companies. There are also many small businesses located in the area that generate jobs for local residents. The town also has an active arts and culture scene with several galleries and museums located nearby. There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy such as fishing, camping, hiking trails, and biking paths throughout the area as well. Genoa is known for its vibrant community spirit and strong sense of pride among its residents who come together to make it a great place to live no matter what your background may be!
For population 25 years and over in Genoa
- High school or higher: 79.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 9.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Genoa town
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 64.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 8.9%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +44 (+26.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Genoa:
- LINCOLN COMM HOSP – CAH (about 18 miles; HUGO, CO)
- EAST MORGAN COUNTY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 66 miles; BRUSH, CO)
- COLORADO PLAINS MEDICAL CTR (about 69 miles; FORT MORGAN, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Genoa:
- COLORADO PLAINS REGIONAL (about 65 miles; AKRON, CO; Abbreviation: AKO)
- CITY OF COLORADO SPRINGS MUNI (about 90 miles; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Abbreviation: COS)
- DENVER INTL (about 90 miles; DENVER, CO; Abbreviation: DEN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Genoa:
- LIMON MUNI (about 11 miles; LIMON, CO; Abbreviation: LIC)
- CALHAN (about 57 miles; CALHAN, CO; Abbreviation: 5V4)
- BRUSH MUNI (about 68 miles; BRUSH, CO; Abbreviation: 7V5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Genoa:
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 71 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 71 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 71 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 71 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,352)
- ARAPAHOE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 71 miles; LITTLETON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,666)
- UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY (about 95 miles; USAFA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,330)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF AURORA (about 97 miles; AURORA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,219)