Mount Holly, North Carolina
According to top-mba-universities, Mount Holly is a small city in North Carolina, located in Gaston County. Geographically, it is situated at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is bordered by Charlotte to the east and Gastonia to the south. The climate of Mount Holly is typical of that found in the southeastern United States with hot summers, mild winters, and plenty of precipitation throughout the year.
History-wise, Mount Holly was founded in 1874 as a small farming town. Over time, it grew into a bustling industrial center during World War II due to its proximity to Charlotte. After the war ended, Mount Holly transitioned back into a more rural community before becoming incorporated as a city in 1965.
In terms of politics, Mount Holly operates under a mayor-council government system with five council members representing each ward within city limits. The current mayor is Jeffery Thomas Jr., who was elected in 2019 and serves alongside fellow elected officials such as City Manager Mike Hagerty and City Clerk Rhonda Kuebler.
The economy of Mount Holly has long been based on agriculture and textiles but has diversified over time with new industries such as healthcare, retail, banking, construction, and manufacturing taking root in recent years. The city’s largest employers are Atrium Health’s Carolinas Medical Center-Charlotte campus (CMC-Charlotte) and CaroMont Health Regional Medical Center (CaroMont).
When it comes to education in Mount Holly, there are several options for families to choose from including public schools operated by Gaston County Schools such as East Elementary School (grades K-5), Holbrook Middle School (grades 6-8), and Stuart W Cramer High School (grades 9-12). There are also private schools such as Mount Zion Christian Academy (K-12) for those seeking an alternative education option for their children.
Finally, some notable landmarks located within or near Mount Holly include the Catawba River Greenway Trail which runs along Catawba River offering breathtaking views; Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden which features 11 different gardens; Rankin Lake Park which offers fishing opportunities; Crowders Mountain State Park which offers hiking trails; and Last Stop Gift Shop which sells locally made crafts and souvenirs.
Population: 9,618. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,676 (+0.6% change)
Males: 4,623 (48.1%), Females: 4,995 (51.9%)
Zip code: 28120
Median resident age: 34.8 years
Median household income: $39,459
Median house value: $89,900
Races in Mount Holly:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.8%)
- Black (9.3%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Other Asian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Vietnamese (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (21.6%), German (11.3%), Irish (7.9%), English (5.9%), Scotch-Irish (4.3%), Italian (2.4%).
Elevation: 632 feet
Land area: 7.8 square miles
Mount Holly, North Carolina is a small town located in Gaston County. The population of Mount Holly was estimated to be 13,764 in 2019. The population has grown steadily since the 2010 census, which showed a population of 12,588. The majority of the population is white (79%), followed by African American (14%), Hispanic or Latino (4%), and Asian (2%). The median age in Mount Holly is 37 years old, with 25% of the population under 18 and 10% over 65.
The town has seen an influx of young families in recent years due to its close proximity to Charlotte and its affordable housing market. Mount Holly is home to many young professionals who work in Charlotte or nearby towns and cities. This has led to an increase in businesses such as restaurants and retail stores as well as new housing developments catering to this young demographic. Currently, there are several major employers in town including Belmont Metals, Akzo Nobel Coatings Inc., Gaston Community College, and Stowe Mills Corporation. Additionally, numerous small businesses have opened up shop around town offering unique services such as yoga studios and craft breweries.
For population 25 years and over in Mount Holly
- High school or higher: 73.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.7%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Mount Holly city
- Never married: 22.8%
- Now married: 56.0%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 11.1%
2.9% Foreign born (1.9% Asia, 0.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,636 (+20.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Mount Holly:
- CHARLOTTE INSTITUTE OF REHABILITATION (about 13 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC)
- GASTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; GASTONIA, NC)
- MERCY HOSPITAL INC (about 15 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Mount Holly:
- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL (about 9 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Abbreviation: CLT)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 40 miles; HICKORY, NC; Abbreviation: HKY)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 80 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Mount Holly:
- GASTONIA MUNI (about 11 miles; GASTONIA, NC; Abbreviation: AKH)
- LINCOLNTON-LINCOLN COUNTY RGNL (about 15 miles; LINCOLNTON, NC; Abbreviation: IPJ)
- LANEYS (about 20 miles; MAIDEN, NC; Abbreviation: N92)
Amtrak stations near Mount Holly:
- 11 miles: GASTONIA (350 HANCOCK ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 15 miles: CHARLOTTE (1914 N. TYRON ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Mount Holly:
- GASTON COLLEGE (about 12 miles; DALLAS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,473)
- CENTRAL PIEDMONT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 7,967)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE (about 20 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 13,706)
- WINTHROP UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 4,976)
- YORK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 27 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,221)
- CATAWBA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; HICKORY, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,052)
- GARDNER-WEBB UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; BOILING SPRINGS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,563)
Public high school in Mount Holly:
- EAST GASTON HIGH (Students: 1,438; Location: 1 744 S LANE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Mount Holly:
- MOUNT HOLLY MIDDLE (Students: 732; Location: 124 S HAWTHORNE STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- IDA RANKIN ELEMENTARY (Students: 625; Location: 301 W CENTRAL AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- PINEWOOD ELEMENTARY (Students: 412; Location: 1925 N MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 05)