Oak Ridge, North Carolina
According to top-medical-schools, Oak Ridge, North Carolina is located in the northwestern part of the state and has a population of approximately 3,000 people. The city is situated in a gently rolling terrain and is surrounded by hills and woods. It has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers, mild winters, and abundant rainfall throughout the year.
The city was founded by settlers in 1791 and was officially incorporated in 1845. In its early days, Oak Ridge was an agricultural community with tobacco farming being the main industry. In 1940, the federal government established the town as part of the Manhattan Project and it quickly grew into a bustling city with over 70,000 residents. Today, Oak Ridge is still home to many federal research facilities including Y-12 National Security Complex and Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
Politics have always been important to Oak Ridge’s history as it has been home to several prominent politicians including former US Senator Howard Baker Jr., former Tennessee Governor Frank Clement, and current US Senator Lamar Alexander. The local government consists of a mayor-council form of government with five council members elected at large for four year terms.
The economy of Oak Ridge is largely based on federal research and development, with the local government being a major employer in the area. The city also has a vibrant retail sector and several large employers such as Denso, Clayton Homes, and Pro2Serve.
Oak Ridge is served by two public school districts: the Oak Ridge School District and the Anderson County School District. The schools offer a variety of educational opportunities for students including AP classes, honors classes, and dual-enrollment programs. There are also several private schools in town including St. Mary’s Catholic School and Oak Ridge Christian Academy.
Oak Ridge is home to several notable landmarks including the American Museum of Science & Energy, which features exhibits about the city’s history with the Manhattan Project. The city also has several parks such as Haw Ridge Park, which offers hiking trails, picnic areas, and a disc golf course; and Melton Hill Lake Park which features swimming areas, boat ramps, fishing piers, and more. terms.
Economically speaking, Oak Ridge’s primary industries are manufacturing and retail trade. Major employers include ORNL Federal Credit Union, ORAU (Oak Ridge Associated Universities), DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee Inc., and UT-Battelle LLC (the managing contractor for ORNL).
Education is highly valued in Oak Ridge with two public elementary schools (Glenwood Elementary School & Willow Brook Elementary School) along with one middle school (Oak Ridge Middle School) and one high school (Oak Ridge High School). There are also several private schools located within the city limits such as St Mary’s Catholic School & Sacred Heart Academy of Oak Ridge Incorporated.
When it comes to landmarks & attractions there are many things to see & do in Oak Ridge such as spending time at Historic Jackson Square or exploring Melton Hill Lake Park which offers camping & fishing opportunities along with hiking trails that lead up to White Rocks overlook where you can take in stunning views of nearby mountains & valleys. Other notable landmarks include Children’s Museum at Oakridge Mall which features interactive exhibits for children; American Museum of Science & Energy which focuses on science education; Secret City Scenic Excursion Train; Alexander Guest House; K-25 Virtual Museum; Pollard Technology Conference Center; Haw Orchard Mansion; etc…
Males: 1,972 (49.4%), Females: 2,016 (50.6%)
Zip code: 27310
Median resident age: 37.7 years
Median household income: $74,609
Median house value: $204,900
Races in Oak Ridge:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.9%)
- Black (4.2%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (21.1%), United States (15.3%), German (14.5%), Irish (13.3%), Scotch-Irish (4.7%), French (4.6%).
Land area: 14.7 square miles
Oak Ridge, North Carolina is a small town located in Guilford County. It has a population of approximately 2,200 people and covers an area of just over 5 square miles. The majority of the population is white (approximately 85%), with African-Americans making up about 10% and Hispanics about 4%. There is also a small but growing Asian population in Oak Ridge.
Oak Ridge is home to many young families, with the median age being 35 years old. The median household income for Oak Ridge residents is around $50,000 per year. Most residents are employed in the service industry or local factories, while some commute to nearby cities such as Greensboro or High Point for higher paying jobs. Education levels are generally high with almost all adults having at least a high school diploma and more than half having earned a college degree or higher.
The town boasts several parks and recreational areas that offer various activities including walking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas and sports fields. There are also several churches located within the town’s limits which provide spiritual guidance to its citizens. Additionally, Oak Ridge has its own library where patrons can access books, magazines and other media resources free of charge. These amenities help make Oak Ridge an ideal location for those looking for a safe and affordable place to live.
For population 25 years and over in Oak Ridge
- High school or higher: 90.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 40.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 12.8%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oak Ridge town
- Never married: 15.4%
- Now married: 76.2%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 2.7%
- Divorced: 4.8%
3.1% Foreign born (1.3% Europe, 1.3% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Oak Ridge:
- HIGH POINT REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; HIGH POINT, NC)
- MOSES H CONE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL,THE (about 16 miles; GREENSBORO, NC)
- KINDRED HOSPITAL GREENSBORO (about 18 miles; GREENSBORO, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Oak Ridge:
- PIEDMONT TRIAD INTERNATIONAL (about 7 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: GSO)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 17 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
- DANVILLE REGIONAL (about 53 miles; DANVILLE, VA; Abbreviation: DAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Oak Ridge:
- DS BUTLER FARM AND AIRFIELD (about 2 miles; OAK RIDGE, NC; Abbreviation: N83)
- AIR HARBOR (about 13 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Abbreviation: W88)
- MEADOW BROOK FIELD (about 14 miles; WALNUT COVE, NC; Abbreviation: N63)
Amtrak stations near Oak Ridge:
- 13 miles: GREENSBORO (2603 OAKLAND AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 15 miles: HIGH POINT (100 W. HIGH ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 19 miles: WINSTON-SALEM (127 S. CHERRY ST.) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oak Ridge:
- NORTH CAROLINA AGRICULTURAL AND TECHNICAL ST UNIV (about 7 miles; Greensboro, NC; Full-time enrollment: 6,970)
- GUILFORD TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; JAMESTOWN, NC; Full-time enrollment: 4,810)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT GREENSBORO (about 14 miles; GREENSBORO, NC; Full-time enrollment: 10,868)
- HIGH POINT UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; HIGH POINT, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- WINSTON-SALEM STATE UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; WINSTON-SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,508)
- WAKE FOREST UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 5,944)
- FORSYTH TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Full-time enrollment: 3,271)
Private high school in Oak Ridge:
- OAK RIDGE MILITARY ACADEMY (Students: 165; Location: PO BOX 498; Grades: 7 – 12)